14 Dec 2010

JYC 2010 14th December - Pressies!!!!

There is nothing so perfect as to see a tree on Christmas morning, with presents spilling out from underneath. Almost better than the actual opening, if that is possible. The manner of opening depends on the company present in my family. 

When I was a child, it was imperative that they be opened as soon as possible, even breakfast was a chore that needed to be rushed. When I was in my teens, we would be just able to wait until my grandparents arrived, normally about 11ish, and could manage just a snippet of polite conversation and drink gathering before sitting down to the main event. When I was about 16, my mum had the worst cold on Christmas Day. So it was up to my brother and I (with a lot of help from Nanny and Grandad) to cook Christmas Dinner. Presents were delayed until after lunch as I wasn't going to be diving in and out of the kitchen. That year we came to the wonderous conclusion that maybe, just maybe it was better to wait. 

So for the next few years we did. When my step-sisters arrived on the scene for Christmas, we made them wait the first year, and then the second year we opened everything in the morning. Which left the day a little bit flat.  For us, it is very much a case of dish out and get unwrapping. Maybe with the years I have slowed up a little, especially as the gifts I gave became just as important as those that I received. 

With my OH family, it was different. MIL likes everyone to open a present, 1 at a time so that everyone can see. When you have 8 people and a lot of presents, this can lead to a slightly tiresome afternoon. As we have got older and the family has increased due to more step-siblings, we have got her down to opening all presents from one person, it makes it much quicker and less of a performance. 

Christmas last year was at my house, with my dad and partner. And there we indugled in a slow opening of presents, throughout the day and evening, with special presents for Christmas eve. Very grown up and enjoyable, but somehow, not quite like Christmas. 

Love Elliefantasy xx

No comments: